Strategic planning for information technology is done in different ways but, arguably, it involves key activities and deliverables. This technology strategic plan provides a good example of the key components CIOs should consider:
- A vision for the future - what does IT look like when it grows up?
- A survey of current IT inventory, capability, capacity - what needs to be added?
- An assessment of current IT Capability - how does it change?
- An understanding of current IT Standards - do some or all of them change?
- Key IT Initiatives in support of technology strategy
This is a good report for the CIO to read to understand how these components fit into an overall strategic plan to make sense - making better decisions about IT is the whole point behind strategic planning.