Large corporations inevitably amass a large number of applications. These applications often step on each other's toes, duplicate functionality, and worse, live even after their expiration date. CIOs are tasked with running an efficient and effective IT shop. So, they must manage their application set to weed out those applications that do not add business value and develop those that do - two of a set of decisions on the applications in the shop. A portfolio based approach works well to manage applications in an IT organization because it allows for business driven decisions. Toward that end, this paper presents a framework and process to manage applications using a portfolio based approach.
- What is application portfolio management?
- Why is application portfolio management important?
- How should we model an application portfolio?
- What are the criteria to manage an application portfolio?
- What are the steps in managing an application portfolio?
The framework for application portfolio management is deveoped using research in a large global organization. It can be adapted by other companies to manage their application portfolios for strategic advantage.