Theoretical discussions on the enterprise architect role paint one picture while the practical implemented version of this role tells a different story. This dichotomy between what is and what should be can be the deciding factor not only for the Enterprise Architects' profession but also to the value created by them.
To understand the Enterprise Architect role one must understand the role of enterprise architecture itself:
- What is enterprise architecture?
- Why is enterprise architecture important? What is its role in the enterprise?
- How does enterprise architecture deliver on its promise?
- How is enterprise architecture implemented in the organization?
- Who are the key stakeholders of enterprise architecture?
- How does enterprise architecture fit in with other disciplines?
Now, we are ready to understand the person(s) who implement enterprise architecture in the organization:
- What is the role of the enterprise architect?
- What are the responsibilities of the enterprise architect role?
- What are the skills required to succeed as an enterprise architect?
- Is an enterprise architect an engineer or an artist?
- What influence does the enterprise architect have in the enterprise?
- What are the different styles of enterprise architects?
Together they paint a clearer picture of the enterprise architect role. CIOs can use this framework to understand the EA role and staff it with the best talent. Excellent Read!