This best practices driven IT Strategic Plan sets the long term strategic direction for IT in support of business objectives - how to leverage IT to create competitive advantage for the organization.
- Assess current IT capabilities
- Design future IT capabilities
- Assess Gaps, based upon internal ideas and external research and best practices
- Craft an implementation plan that lays out the programs, projects, and initiatives for the IT Organization
- Manage investment priorities to an IT Budget
This example also provides a view to the IT strategi planning process - CIO, IT Executives reporting to them, other managers, and the IT team at large all contribute to effective IT planning. But equally important - nay, critical - is the requirement to involve key stakeholders across the business (CIO's peers, other executives, managers, and end users, for example).