Business IT alignment is at the top of a CIO's agenda, but making it happen requires understanding of key concepts, a structured framework, and a proven approach. Developed by Sourabh Hajela, an award winning thought leader, management consultant, and trainer with over 30 years experience, this in-depth course explains how many Fortune 50 companies align their business and IT strategies to create sustainable shareholder value. IT Strategy Course describes how you can identify areas where your organization lacks alignment, quantify the cost to your company, and build a plan to bring your IT efforts in line with your business needs.
IT Strategy Course is for Chief Information Officers, their direct reports, and those responsible for creating IT Strategic Plans. However, this information is invaluable to all employees in the IT Organization because it helps set the context for all the work they do.
Learn Key Concepts in Business IT Alignment
- What is IT Strategy aka Business IT Alignment?
- Why is IT Alignment essential for business results?
- What are the steps to create an IT Alignment?
- How do we migrate to this new capability?
- How do we monitor and track IT investment results?
- Are there tools and techniques available that can facilitate this journey?
Learn A Proven Framework for IT Success
At the end of the day, most business leaders agree that alignment is critical, but they don't know how to achieve that goal.
- Demonstrable: IT Alignment Strategies takes alignment from a nebulous concept to a business factor that can be measured, charted and understood.
- Practical: The course drills down to the root causes of alignment or lack thereof, facilitating key decisions about IT.
- Quantitative: Techniques explained enable easy monitoring and control of alignment.
- Easy to Use: Gets you to decisions and value quickly and effectively.
IT Strategy Course presents this cutting edge yet practical and easy-to-use framework and guides you through a step-by-step approach to create an actionable strategic plan for your IT organization. This IT Strategy will help you identify areas where your organization lacks alignment, quantify the cost to your company, and build a strategic plan to bring your IT efforts in line with your business needs. IT Strategy’s objective is to create value for shareholders. With visual value maps, now you can show them the money!
I am an award winning thought leader, management consultant, trainer and entrepreneur with over thirty years of experience in strategy, planning and delivery of IT Capability to maximize shareholder value for Fortune 50 corporations across major industries in North America, Europe and Asia.
Earn a certificate of completion and recognition:
Get recognized by the world's largest professional network for CIOs.
- Certificate: Receive a certificate recognizing high achievement in one of more areas.
- Badge: A badge displaying this subject matter expertise is displayed on your profile
- CIO Expert: Your listing in the CIO Experts Directory displays a certified markup as a sign of distinction
Participants have different options to access this course
Instructor has recorded their lectures on PowerPoint slides that are available for access using a web browser 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. Pick a time that works for you, log in to the training portal and access the course content. Complete the course at your leisure - participants have 90 days access to complete the course.
Instructor Led Online
Courses can be taken in the form of a seven-week workshop featuring live sessions. Participants can attend a live classroom setting using Citrix’s GoToWebinar. We will send participants a link to the sessions after they have enrolled in the workshop.
The first six weeks, each session will include a lecture and have time for questions and answers. Some weeks, we might have two lectures because there is a lot to cover and 90 minutes might not be sufficient. We will give you a thirty minute break between the sessions to take a breather.
- Live Sessions are scheduled on weekends so your work doesn't stop while you learn
- Live sessions are scheduled for two days in every week to accommodate different time zones
- Friday Session: 8:00 P.M. - 9:30 P.M. (US EST) (Participants from New Zealand and Australia and Western US will find this suitable)
- Saturday Session: 11: 00 A.M. - 12:30 P.M. (US EST) (Participants from North America, Europe, Africa and Asia (excluding New Zealand and Australia) will find this time suitable)
- Participants can attend either of these sessions because they will cover the same material. If you are so inclined, feel free to attend both sessions - we don't mind!
- These times might be adjusted to suit participants in a given workshop.
- These sessions may be recorded so participants can review them on demand.
Week Seven is for final presentations. Each participant will have the opportunity to present their IT Strategic Plan to their peers who are encouraged to provide feedback on both the substance and style of the presentation.
On-Demand Access to IT Strategy Course
In addition to these live sessions, participants will have access to the IT Strategy Course material online. You can hear pre-recorded lectures at your convenience. A link with access information will be sent to participants after enrollment.
On-Demand Access to CIO Toolkit
IT Strategy Workshop Participants will have access to the CIO Toolkit which is the world's most comprehensive reference on IT Management and will be used extensively throughout this workshop.
Access to Private Discussion Groups
We have assigned a private group for up-to 12 participants in each workshop. These groups will be used to have discussions on topics that cannot be had in live sessions. Participants are free to interact with each other outside of groups and lectures - we hope they will!
Create an IT Strategic Plan for Your Organization
We believe that the best learning happens when we apply it to a real world problem facing us. Consequently, each week participants will work on an assignment. Each assignment builds a piece of the strategic planning puzzle - from vision to communication plan. The final assignment, due at the end of the seven (7) weeks, complies all these pieces incorporating feedback from the instructor and their peer-group.
Self-Paced Grade Breakdown
Instructor Led Grade Breakdown
Frequently Asked Questions
IT Strategy 101 focuses on the “what” of creating business value using IT. This course details the “how” to align IT and business. The former sets the context and the latter details the approach and framework to create an IT capability to enable business results.
This course introduces, in a structured and comprehensive, yet easy manner the logical steps and framework to align business requirements with IT capability.
As an IT professional you have a good grasp on creating IT Solutions. You might have taken the Managing IT course to understand the ''big picture'' on these solutions.
However, what is missing is the "how to" i.e. the approach, steps and framework to align business and IT capability
- How to model existing IT Capability?
- How to model the desired IT Capability?
- How to migrate to an efficient and effective IT Capability?
This course should help you become more effective and efficient in your current job and career by understanding the rationale for your work. More importantly, it will help you advance your career by getting the knowledge on the business aspects of IT.
In today's fast paced and hyper competitive world information technology is a strategic weapon.
- Is your business leveraging this weapon to its fullest?
- Are you collaborating with your IT organization to the extent you should?
- Are you maximizing the returns on your IT investments?
Perhaps, as a non-IT professional you have seen the promise of IT. You are also keen to unleash the power of IT. However, the punditry and complexity have intimidated or dissuaded you from delving into it in a meaningful way.
This course makes it easy by dealing with this topic in a comprehensive yet simple manner. Additionally, it deals with IT from a business perspective hence for a business professional it is easier to follow.
Not in the sense of a technology deep dive. Even though this course is on Information Technology it is from a business perspective i.e. how to enable business results using information technology.
As a business executive your primary focus is on creating shareholder value. Information technology is a means to that end. Consequently, a business perspective helps understand where, how and why IT can enable business results. When to apply it and when not to. If IT is not enabling business results it is what some call ''technology for technology's sake''.
- This course covers the following topics:
- Business model and strategy and how they drive IT Strategy?
- What are the steps in formulating IT Strategy?
- How to create a model for the existing/current IT capability?
- How to identify the IT imperatives given the business drivers?
- How to devise a model for an IT Capability that aligns IT with business?
- How to prioritize IT initiatives?
- How to migrate from existing to the desired IT Capability?