In general, marketers have realized the value of the internet ("online" is cool for a reason!) but have often thought of it as a "call to action" medium i.e. with little residual. Brand managers are spending online but the growth in spending is modeast at best.
This report highlights five obstacles to bringing more brand advertising online and discusses how to overcome them:
- Lack of innovation in ad formats/creative
- Undifferentiated, low cost ad inventory
- In a sea of metrics, little of value to brand marketers!
- Media companies lack ideas and strategic expertise
- Lack of cross-platform campaign capability