Building an effective website for a small business starts with understanding how the website fits into your business model.
This paper discusses the process of setting up a website for small businesses.
Here is some good advice right off the bat:
"The first step in creating an effective website is to consider the role that your site will play in your business strategy. Make sure your business goals are clearly identified before you start planning your site. Review your current business plan to see how and where a company website could strategically help your business grow and prosper."
The following topics are covered in this paper:
- How Can a Website Help Your Business?
- Selecting the Right Developer
- The Key to Success: Planning
- What Should You Have on Your Website?
- Top Mistakes in Website Development
- After Your Website is Online
- Next Steps: Advanced Web Development